Why is having an extra spare spike important?
Losing a spike on an ice traction device compromises the traction of the entire device. SPARE SPIKE Ice Cleats get their name because they have a spare spike on the top of the front of each Ice Cleat. In the unlikely event that you lose a spike, you've got two spares with you to repair your ice cleats on the spot. It's a great feature, and another example of Winter Walking's attention to detail, that sets SPARE SPIKE Ice Cleats and all Winter Walking slip-resistant footwear apart from the competition in keeping you safe.
SPARE SPIKE Ice Cleats keep you safer from slips and falls in all wintry conditions.
Many competing ice cleats in this price range only protect you from slips and falls on ice and packed snow. SPARE SPIKE Ice Cleats also keep you safer walking on deeper snow, slush and even mud.
- The tread is aggressive and self-cleaning. This also helps to keep the spikes in contact with the ice when there is a thin layer of snow on top of the ice.
- 8 strategically placed, durable, long-lasting 2mm Tungsten Carbide Studs are on each Ice Cleat.
SPARE SPIKEs are extremely easy to use.
- The material remains flexible at low temperatures making it easy to stretch over your footwear.
- The bell-shaped front makes it easy to put on because it won't slip as easy as a strap found on many competing products.
- The patented DUAL PULL TABS™ makes it easy to stretch over your footwear. It's a major advantage for many older folks or anyone with weakness in their hands.
- DUAL DENSITY - The straps are thinner in areas where they stretch over your footwear for maximum stretch and expansion. Straps are thicker in areas contacting the ground for greater durability.
- You can put them on and take them off in less than 30 seconds.
You'll have your SPARE SPIKEs when and where you need them.
The lightweight, compact, flexible and foldable design enables you to carry them with you when you're not wearing them. Carry them in your pocket, briefcase, glove box, backpack or purse. You'll always be ready for that unexpected freezing rain.
You don't have to take them off to drive.
This is a major advantage over many competing products. Think about how many times you would have to put them on and take them off in the course of running your errands?
They stay securely on your shoes and boots.
- The straps are made from strong TPE that has a better memory than rubber so that the elasticity remains strong to keep them snug on your footwear.
- The front bell-shaped strap goes completely over the front of the shoe.
- The wide, textured rear strap prevents SPARE SPIKE Ice Cleats from coming off your shoe when you walk through deep snow.
- The textured inner surface helps keep them from slipping and shifting out of place and from buckling and possibly dislodging the cleats.
SPARE SPIKE is one of the most durable ice cleats in its price range.
- They're made from a tough TPE (Thermoplastic Elastomer) compound that's as strong rubber but has better stretch and memory (returns to its original shape).
- The Tungsten Carbide Studs are extremely durable and replaceable with a unique mounting technique that keeps them securely in place. Replacing them does not require any special tools.
They add no noticeable weight to your footwear.
They're extremely lightweight. The biggest pair weighs about 8 oz.
You can use them with spike heels and high heel boots.
First of all, I don't recommend wearing any high heel footwear on ice. But, in a pinch, you can cut along the SPARE SPIKE's patented TRIM LINE™. Of course cutting ruins your SPARE SPIKE. However, you'll be a lot safer than trying to negotiate walking on the ice in high heels. And the cost is small to help reduce the chances of a fall in comparison to the cost of a serious fall.
WARNING! Remove SPARE SPIKE Ice Cleats before going indoors.
You have to take them off before going indoors because the sharp 2mm spikes will damage floors and may be slippery on hard, smooth non ice or packed snow covered surfaces.